Fuel Pumps
Some questions on a Hillman group which I "Knew" the correct answer to made me doubt my knowledge.
Was my recollection correct or not.
I am pleased to announce that my memory has been checked and it was as I said.
" You cannot use the stock later minx fuel pump on a Mark VIII Minx because it hits parts of the body".
Truth in fact it hits the steering box, cannot even get it in.
This is the Location that doesn't have the rear mount.
The mount was on the early 1600 engines from 1962
The mount was on the early 1600 engines from 1962
but not on the later versions or the 1725 which has
some extra bits there with a dipstick hole.
For interest the following pictures show the differences
between the Mk VIII and the later Minx fuel pumps
Right pump is Mk VIII version,
note the higher actuating lever.
The pump mount position is lower relative to the camshaft and
The pump mount position is lower relative to the camshaft and
looks like it is further out from the camshaft.
Top view.
The orientation of inlet and outlet ports is irrelevant to
pump operation. The position on the right hand unit shown tucks the fuel
pipe to the carb neatly into the corner of the block.
Engine side.
As can be seen the pump body is exactly the same on both pumps,
only difference is the angle of the operating lever.
Because my engine block from the 1966 Humber Vogue is not
fitted with the rear pump mount I installed an ECCO pump from
Fuel Flow Solutions 2020
https://fuelflow2020.nz/?page_id=194
An update, and the back story to my original post on the Hillman group, I contacted the pump supplier because the housing had cracked. According to the web warriors this was a problem on the early manufacture of this pump. They were unwilling to supply me a new end part, the black casing on the end is just a connections part and has no working pump parts in it. Removal was very simple just undo two screws and pop it off. A new pump was around $150 including delivery so buying a cheap part seemed a better option. I have since ordered a new pump from China Inc. for $13 with free delivery.
However in the spirit of someone farm born my thought was "I can fix that".
However in the spirit of someone farm born my thought was "I can fix that".
The plastic housing being fuel resistant seems to resist all the solvents I have available, so I melted/welded the crack but it still leaked fuel. A good look at the fittings showed they only screw about 5mm into the housing which puts lots of pressure on a small part of the threads. I have obtained two replacement 5/8" to 7/16 tube fittings that have a longer threaded part along with two 15mm O rings.
This should strengthen the assembly and the O rings will move the fuel seal from the nylon washer visible in the picture to an O ring in the bottom of the housing. Better engineering in my mind,
If this does not achieve the desired objective then I will machine up an aluminum piece to replace the plastic but using my new brass fittings.
This should strengthen the assembly and the O rings will move the fuel seal from the nylon washer visible in the picture to an O ring in the bottom of the housing. Better engineering in my mind,
If this does not achieve the desired objective then I will machine up an aluminum piece to replace the plastic but using my new brass fittings.
New fuel pump from amazon
Price June 2026 $19.99






Comments
Post a Comment