Some shocking stuff
Pictures of shock installation
The first step was to decide how to mount the shocks. The sheet metal in the area the mounts needed to go seemed inadequate to the task and as the annoying guardians of public safety have no idea about engineering it seemed prudent to attach them to the original chassis points. There could be no reasonable argument that those mounts were insufficient.
The chosen shocks needed to have sufficient length to allow full suspension travel.
The shock choice was to use a good set I already had. they were Gabriel gas shocks but the numbers no longer appear on any of the Gabriel web pages. They are very firm 😀If selecting from a catalogue specify the open and closed length, the fittings on each end and the weight of the vehicle. In the case of the Californian around 1100 kg. If the place selling shocks cannot help you just go to another supplier.
My preference was for mounting "eyes" at each end. To use stud mountings you would need to cut an access hole in the boot floor with a hole saw to access the top nuts and fit a suitable rubber grommet to block it off afterwards. A 2" hole should be adequate.
My first Californian had tube shocks fitted when I bought it in 1969 I do recall they were shorter than the ones I had and it crossed my mind that they may have limited the rebound travel of the suspension.
Not good for shocks.
So after measuring everything it seemed that the top of the shocks needed to be mounted higher than the under floor space would allow. I was reluctant to cut chunks out of the boot area to put them where they seemed to need to go. Measurements of my Minx and Vogue confirmed the need to the mounts to be higher than the clear space.
Pictures did not want to upload properly. Finally some cooperation from the evil box of electrons :-)
Step one was to make some templates to see exactly how much space is available around the existing mounts, so removed the lever shocks and cut some 13mm ply to size and shape. Wedged it where it should go and drilled through the mounting holes.
These are gas shocks so I threaded some welding wire through and pulled one fully closed and left one fully open to see the travel
here is a drawing of what is needed.
This shows the spacing between the top mounts along with bump and rebound travel and the normal ride height. The shock mounting angle pulling the bottom up slightly for better ground clearance
I can't recall if I threaded the holes in the side pieces or welded nuts on the topside. Either will work.
The two inner bolts on each side that go through all of the cross brace have crush tubes inserted in the tube so they stay tight in service.
This is the left hand side, did not need to avoid the exhaust system this side.
The curved sheet metal on the right is the spare wheel well.
If I had done the shocks first the exhaust pipe would have
The hand brake linkage in the foreground with 55 years worth of dirt.
However In removing the mount plates the rubber parts were in very poor condition.
The difference to stability when driving after they were tightened up was amazing.

The new lower clamp plates with the lower shock mounts.
Waiting for my thermonuclear heat source to bake the paint.
At this stage I had cleaned up the rear axle housing somewhat.
The shock mount is the lowest point for ground clearance.
































Comments
Post a Comment